January 2013 Featured Artist - ettelewen

For all non-Placebo art, pictures and creative work.

Moderators: Luzie, Moderators

Social

Share on: Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Digg Digg

January 2013 Featured Artist - ettelewen

Postby Kass13 on 01 Jan 2013, 22:40

This month, meet the genius behind the Placebo movie posters, ettelewen. Use this thread to ask her any questions or for general comments.

1. What can you tell us about yourself?
My name is Barbara, I’m 25, from Slovenia, currently living and studying in Denmark. I like to travel, either to see a new country or to see a band. Besides listening to music I also enjoy watching tv series or sports. I’m not only focused on entertaining myself, I also like to entertain others, and since I’m one of the shy ones and not really good in telling jokes, I try to find other creative ways to make people smile. I’m doing a masters in Game Design right now to also be able to make some fun computer games in the future.

2. What first drew you to Placebo?
I can’t remember the specifics, I only know it was shortly after the Black Market Music release, at the end of 2000 and the end of my primary school years, when my friends were either into boybands or metal. None of that was really appealing to me, so I spent quite a lot of time browsing internet for some nice music. One of those searches must’ve introduced me to Placebo and it truly was a good find, as they’ve been my favourite band since then.

3. What first gave you the idea to create movie posters based on Placebo?
My first poster was the Forrest Gump(ie) one and I think it was a consequence of me reading the PFWW forums, seeing Steve’s nickname being used often and thinking I could photoshop him on the original movie poster. I’ve participated in some spontaneous photoshopping on forums before, so I’ve had some practice, but with Placebo posters I took it on quite a new level. With much more details and references.

4. What have been some reactions to your posters?
The replies how the posters made their day much better, make my day much better. I can’t be there to see people smile, but I get to read various expressions of laughter in several languages and it’s always nice.

5. Do you have any other non-Placebo artistic work?
I like to take photos, but I’d probably need a better equipment and more devotion to be able to call it art. As I have a graphic designer background, I’ve worked with graphics a lot, I like pretty colors and symmetry. I also like rhymes, but I don’t share my poems with the rest of the world. I do share my machinima though (videos made in games) on my youtube channel (ettelewen), those have been fun to make.

6. Do you gain any inspiration for your artwork from Placebo’s music?
Yes, Placebo music is my main source of inspiration, especially the song lyrics. There’s probably not many songs that haven’t been referenced in a poster at least once so far. Sometimes I’ll get the idea for a poster directly from the song, but usually it’s a process of going back and forth between a movie poster and Placebo discography, trying to use the pieces that fit the most.

It’s not only Placebo music that inspires the posters, often it is the band members itself, things they did or said, or any other Placebo-related viral stuff that other fans will recognize.

7. Have you ever been involved with any other fandom?
I suppose being a sports fan doesn’t count, therefore no. I did participate in the Save Jericho campaign, which was extremely fun and quite successful, but it was just that once. Placebo fandom is the one and only!

8. What effect do comments have on your and/or your artwork?
If it wasn’t for all the positive feedback, I don’t think I would continue to make what is almost a hundred posters so far. Every time I see them being accepted well and the number of people who appreciate them, growing, I know that I’m doing the right thing.

9. Do you have any message for your readers?
I wish you a successful year 2013 with lots of entertaining little moments!

10. Anything else you’d like to share about art, Placebo, or PFWW?
Take a look at the Placebo Movie Posters facebook page (if you haven’t already), and feel free to share your thoughts. Each ‘like’ makes me smile and every comment is happily viewed!

Barbara would like to highlight the following posters:
http://sphotos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-a ... 1028_n.jpg
http://sphotos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-a ... 6824_n.jpg
http://sphotos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-a ... 1683_n.jpg

And check out the Placebo movie posters FB page here.
Kass13

Bulletproof Cupid

Re: January 2013 Featured Artist - ettelewen

Postby moniquemo on 03 Jan 2013, 19:29

Congratulations!!this is awesome!!
moniquemo

Peeping Tom

Last.fm: 1

Postby fewhatsername on 03 Jan 2013, 20:00

You're great! Love the posters, especially the Time cover :)
Locarno 19.07.09 - Milano 30.11.09 - Roma 25.06.12 - Verona 03.08.12 - Bologna 23.11.13 - Milano 22.07.14
fewhatsername

Space Monkey

Postby nazz on 03 Jan 2013, 21:11

Thank you for the interview! I love your work,very smart puns always make me smile :)

Keep doing what you're doing best! :love:
#PlaceboGig160813 @Istanbul,Turkey
nazz

Space Monkey

Postby Rosa on 05 Jan 2013, 20:42

I love your work! but you already know that :) I just watched a few vids on your channel and they are brilliant and now I'm curious to see your photos too.

Btw: The post on Facebook is one of the most liked posts ever in the history of pfww FB posts and with a huge amount of shares, I hope you gained a load of new followers on you FB page.
Assumption is the mother of all fuck ups
Rosa

Dream Brother

Postby ettelewen on 06 Jan 2013, 19:21

thank you all :love:

Rosa wrote:I just watched a few vids on your channel and they are brilliant and now I'm curious to see your photos too.

my videos should probably have subtitles to make more sense to those who don't understand the slovene lyrics, but glad you like them anyway :) and I am trying to remember if I uploaded any photos anywhere, but so far I can only think of those I have randomly on my own facebook :)

Rosa wrote:The post on Facebook is one of the most liked posts ever in the history of pfww FB posts and with a huge amount of shares, I hope you gained a load of new followers on you FB page.

yes, over 50 new followers, this is great! thanks! :)
it was nice to see how many people reacted to the FB post, but due to the contents of the poster probably some of them thought it's just a general album teaser ::DD:
. Pause . Mute . Play . Rewind . Fast Forward .
'cause the top of the page is where I'm from

► PHOTOSHOPPED PLACEBO MOVIE POSTERS
ettelewen

Last.fm: pheenka

Return to Eyesight To The Blind